Skip to main content

Facts about dairy goat farming and milk production

 

This article puts clarity on a few facts about dairy goat farming and milk production especially the amount of milk a dairy goat produces per day.

How much milk does a dairy goat produce per day?

This article puts clarity on a few facts about dairy goat farming and milk production especially the amount of milk a dairy goat produces per day.

In dairy goat farming, most farmers get in with an exaggerated expectations, especially on daily milk production. You need to come to terms with the reality that goats are NOT cows. Below are a few realities that you have to come to terms with before you set your expectations from your dairy goats:

Facts about dairy goats and milk production:

A good dairy goat producers between 1 to 3 liters per day. Just like cows, you can find a few goats that produce exceptionally higher, but they are rare to get and expensive to buy.

The breed of goat only plays 30% of its milk production. The remaining 70% is on daily management (feeding, health, housing, etc).

Milk production in dairy goats is not consistent through all lactations. Do not overstretch your goat if periodical drops in milk production occur. From the fifth lactation, expect the productivity of your dairy goat to go down.

Overuse of concentrate feeds reduces the longevity of the goats. Do a lot of natural feeding (grazing and browsing) and minimal supplements.

I hope this helps someone.

Read also: What you should look for when buying a buck goat

     Read also: How to feed dairy goat on grass to increase milk production

Read also: Buying a dairy goat: Benefits of a young doe

 Read also: Dairy Goat farming with Wambugu Farmer

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Where to get Wambugu apples and how to grow them

The story of farming Wambugu apples in Kenya People like eating apples, but in Kenya, imported apples are very expensive and farmers are now looking for an alternative to grow apples locally, and the farming of Wambugu apples has excited many farmers in Kenya and abroad. In this article, we have gathered and reviewed some information from Wambugu Apple farm as well as from some farmers who have been growing the Wambugu apple variety in Kenya. Read also:  Dairy Goat farming with Wambugu Farmer It is said that an apple a day keeps a doctor away, but what if you could venture into the business of farming apples and keep poverty away? Think about it this way: A huge percentage of apples consumed in Kenya, almost 99% are imported from South Africa, the Middle East region, and the Mediterranean countries majorly Egypt. The price of one piece of apple fruit in Kenya goes for around $ 0.5. One kilogram of the imported apples go for up to 10 dollars. The price is very inhibitive especially th

Dairy Goat farming with Wambugu Farmer

Dairy goat farming step by step by Wambugu Farmer Dairy goat farming is an upcoming lucrative agribusiness venture, not only because of the huge prices that goat milk attracts but also because of the well-known health benefits of goat milk. My name is Wambugu Farmer, and I will take you through a few outlines that I have learnt about dairy goat farming during the past few years. I am not a direct dairy goat farmer, but my parents are. I visit them regularly and over the past five years that they have been practicing this farming, we have learnt a lot of lessons surrounding dairy goats that I am going to share with you in this article. Read also: Wambugu Apple Farm in Nyeri Kenya Watch Youtube Video:  WAMBUGU Apples Farm If you are looking forward to start dairy goats on a large scale or small scale farming, there will be something for you to learn from this article. My parents are small-scale dairy goat farmers doing around 6 goats at a time. They started this project because of th

How to make a kitchen garden in Kenya: Cone kitchen garden

  Simple steps to make a kitchen garden in Kenya This is an opportunity for every rural family to make a kitchen garden in Kenya. Just as the name indicates, a cone kitchen garden is a type of garden that resembles a cone, like that of an ice-cream holder. It consists of arranging soil in a conical shape above the ground to create more space for crop growing. Cone kitchen garden is efficient in that it allows for mixed cropping since different species of crop are grown on different layers. Materials and procedure of constructing a Cone kitchen garden in Kenya: Polythene sheet : It should be the heavy one, commonly called the dam-liner in local hardware. Alternatively, you can use old circular containers that have different circumferences in a manner that they can be concentric. Site identification : Chose a site that receives sufficient direct sunlight throughout the day and well drained. Mark the middle point of the garden site, and arrange the containers/polythene in layers, "